Jerwood Arts | Yorkshire Dance for Art’s Sake
Yorkshire Dance and Jerwood Arts are looking to invest in 3 exceptionally talented dance artists / companies based in the north of England through a 30-month artist development opportunity.
We will support artists with the development of two new works each, and offer extensive opportunities to develop the sustainability of their careers through tailored wrap-around support. We are particularly interested in applications from female artists and female-led companies.
Jerwood/Yorkshire Dance for Art’s Sake will support artists with:
- £7,000 co-commissioning fee staggered over the project period, enabling artists to start R&D and provide match-funding to attract additional investment
- Up to 12 weeks of studio space to develop work
- Extensive support package from Yorkshire Dance (incl. fundraising, dramaturgical, producing & marketing support)
- Film / photography documentation budget
- Opportunities for two evenings of work to be presented at Yorkshire Dance (if appropriate)
- Paid peer-support days
- 10 days of freelance producer support to develop further partnerships & presentation opportunities
- A budget for specific career development opportunities (i.e. to build inter/national relationships, bringing in experts / mentors to further support the development of work)
- Paid development days to build leadership capacity beyond choreographic practice
The project is aimed at artists who:
- graduated, or completed equivalent training, up to ten years ago
- have reached a critical moment in their career that requires this particular kind of support in order to maximise their potential and propel them into the next phase of their development
- have begun to think long-term about their professional choreographic career
- are looking outwards and are interested in developing their practice through connecting with mentors, dramaturgs and producers
- apply to the project with a strong artistic project idea and are ready to begin R&D on this project in the first 12 months
- are wanting to commit to working in partnership with Yorkshire Dance over a 30-month development period
With this programme we are interested in working with artists new to us as well as those we may already have worked with. Selection will take into account:
- evidence of exceptional talent in the field and indication of your hunger to make work for an audience
- originality and strength of the initial artistic idea you would like to explore in the first 12 months of working with Yorkshire Dance. Your idea might be at an early ideas-stage or you might have already had some time to research & develop your idea. We appreciate that your ideas might change and shift during your development process
- how well your work sits with Yorkshire Dance’s artistic policy & ethos (please see artistic policy)
- Track record of minimum of 2 professionally produced and presented choreographic works (with documentation available).
Jerwood Arts is the leading independent funder dedicated to supporting UK artists, curators and producers to develop and thrive. We enable transformative opportunities for individuals across art forms, supporting imaginative awards, fellowships, programmes, commissions and collaborations.
How to apply
Please complete the application form below, or send us a filmed / recorded application responding to the same questions.
- Deadline for expressions of interest: Mon 29 April, 10am
- Shortlisted applicants invited to interview by Wed 1 May end of day
- Mandatory 2 day selection/ professional development workshop with Peggy Olislaegers & interviews: Wed 8 & Thu 9 May, 10am-5pm
- Programme starts: June 2019 for a 30 months period
- Programme finishes: Nov 2022
Please submit your application by Mon 29 April, 10am
Due to the expected high volume of applications, we will only be offering feedback to shortlisted individuals.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Tanya Steinhauser or Megan Hamber on 0113 243 9867.
Please note: our online questions don’t allow you to save your answers and come back to them. If you prefer working this way we propose that you write your proposal on a separate document and then cut and paste them into the online form.
The data you provide in this form will be used only for the management of this application process. If you would like to add yourself to Yorkshire Dance’s mailing list, you can do so here.